Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need legal advice!

Hey guys,

Got a question... what are the rules/laws regarding names of events and domain names? I know people like Larry like to buy up ever domain they can get and just redirect to another site... BUT...

-What if the name of an event is being used as a domain for another haunt that does NOT boast the name at all... anywhere? A simple redirect!

The name of our event is a very "common" name... and the domain, www.ourevent.com, is redirected to another haunt that doesn't even come close to the domain/haunts name!!

Confusing?... I know... I am too!

Also, what are the laws regarding copyrighting an events name?

Any help is greatly appreciated! -Tyler
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

You mean you don't know? You seem to know alot about everything else!
    Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Define everything else?

But this is becoming more and more confusing... and I can't really give out any info regarding our event until all of our details are finalized and I get the thumbs up from my partner! Ugh... -Tyler
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Trademark law is a huge jumble of codes, regulations and laws and is not something that could be easily discussed here. I would contact a trademark attorney get my name trademarked and then you may have a case to get the domain name. Now if they have used the name in the past for an event or had content up on it prior to your event then they can keep the domain name because they had first use of it (there is a much better legal name for it but can't think of it). Seriously your best bet is to get a trademark attorney and let them advise you.
        sigpic

Comment

There are tons of haunt events that the domain is nothing like the name of the haunted house and they are real successful. Customers get to know this "handle" as well as the name of the haunt.

One good domain name represents as many haunted house names as you can imagine. As time goes on you may change the name of the haunt more often than you would think in a multi attraction thing to make it the "all new" or make it a seperate entity than previous partnership deals, etc.
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be talking to our lawyer about the ins and outs of trademarks. Thank you! -Tyler
            Chris Riehl
            Sales@spookyfinder.com
            (586)209-6935
            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

especially since i think you had mentioned your event being a multi-attraction event, i would try and find an available name that encompasses the entire event... or even your "production company".

this is an instance where trademarks would come in VERY handy. like you said, haunt owners and internet moguls tend to buy up every imaginable domain name they could ever use. If you find an "umbrella" domain name, you can always use subdomains from within your site.

myevent.ourcompany.com

this isnt the age of dial up anymore, people have developed a bit more internet savvy-ness and tend to remember more difficult domain adresses than even 5 years ago.

cross promotion always works wonders too

at the bottom of your commercials "get stuck in our web www.ourcompany.com"

at your haunt "OurEvent presented by OurCompany, www.ourcompany.com"

just some ideas
              -Mat

Comment

Working...
              X