Fight Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fight Forum?

Maybe it's just me and my kind nature, but is there a lot of disputes and arguments here on the forum? Seems like every other thread I read, there's some sort of bickering about what so and so said and just a lot of nonsense fighting...

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed a lot the few days I've been here. I know that I get in a crabby mood after Halloween is over, so it that it? Or is it always this hectic?
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

All the grown ups are still putting things away and trying to recover. The children and special people are slapping each other around trying to sell their displays to each other for $10,000. That's like 5 solid years on the front lawn selling Lemonade or 38 years washing mommies car every week for $5. Some of them will infact still be at home for the next 38 years.
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Well put Greg!!! I'm still putting things away, how about you???
      R&J Productions
      Las Vegas, NV
      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
        All the grown ups are still putting things away and trying to recover. The children and special people are slapping each other around trying to sell their displays to each other for $10,000. That's like 5 solid years on the front lawn selling Lemonade or 38 years washing mommies car every week for $5. Some of them will infact still be at home for the next 38 years.
        Hahaha okay so it's not always like this?

Originally posted by RJ Productions View Post
        Well put Greg!!! I'm still putting things away, how about you???
        I'm almost done with my tear down. Just a shell is left of my outdoor haunt. It will be taken down Thursday and hopefully everything will be gone and in storage by Friday night.

Anyways, thanks for the reassurance
        Zach Wiechmann
        www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

All the props are out and crated, about 25 more walls to strike and it sounds like Thursday and Friday are big trailer loading days. Then putting damaged stuff back together may take a while. I usually get it to the shop and wait until it has been in the way too many times for months.

I have been watching these forums in between going to other haunts I helped and know of, being at mine and generally preparing for where's the work next year. I've noticed a lot of people have way too much free time and should have been at least stealing the change off of their guardians dresser and actually buying a ticket to a haunted house instead of wanting to have more smiley's available on the forum.

It would be SO great if you could take a $7 piece of 1/4 inch OSB, not even paint it, put some spooky graffiti on it have it ouside in the rain in your back yard for 2 months and sell it to a 14 year old millionare for $100, who lives 2,000 miles away and will have his service come get them. Of course the little tweerp if they existed aren't paying rent, can open the refrigerator any time they want and even the computer and internet connection has been provided for them.

Instead you have to prepaint every more expensive piece of plywood, both sides, $13 so it will kind of outlast the return on investment. Screw it to 2x4s that have also been pre sealed $8, requiring $8 in paint and fire retardant. about $1 in screws, $2 in clips to hold the maze together. That's $32 materials so far. We'll say $60 to $100 for primo detailing materials per panel (you have to factor i all the costs of chasing things down) plus there is that labor thing of a few good hours to the tune of $60. That's $192 each total. Unless you have been very creative over the years.

Then of course they might be able to be given away for free or sold for $10 a panel. Then there is that storage expense whether it is rented storage or the cost of semi trailers. Then rebuilding from damages I speak of. Maybe with some high pressure sales tactics, you could sell a $200 wall for $30 and finance it yourself and deliver it for free over 20 years with no intrest. With some kind of life time warrantee about how they will hold up.

Yes, back in the old days you could pick up hubcaps near the local pot hole and sell them for $5 if you marketed it just right. These days cars have $200 wheels and no hub caps. Nothing is free

Yet the past 2 months I have been a real good boy and just watched, sitting on my hands so as not to type anything. Just to make sure it wasn't me that spawns all this stupidity.

It seems if you buy, no scratch that, your uncle buys for you, $56 worth of stuff from Spirit Halloween, you are now a "haunt owner" and that quaifies you to be included in the top 10 haunted house rating system, post on the pro forums and mention what Transworld has for announcements. Like you are even allowed out of the house after dark. Let the stupidity begin.

The fight forum may still be hectic but, it is a good/better kind of hectic.
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Thank you.
            It was obvious that you were talking about us.
            We spent 10,000 on our haunt and were selling it for 10,000.
            We are not even taking into account our labor.
            Some of the info posted was not accurate as well.
            We are working on it.
            Thank you for your advice.

I dont understand why you think it is right to verbally attack kids.
            Especially kids who are promoting the industry, love what they are doing and were even making a business out of it.
            That is pretty disrespectful if you ask me.

We are looking forward to getting more advice from you as it sounds like you think we are very inexperienced.
            Last edited by UnDeRTaKer313; 11-11-2008, 04:59 PM.
            Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

Nick,

I don't know that anyone was talking about you specifically however you have posted some threads that had nothing to do with advancing your haunt specifically talking about Shane and I think that led this person to starting up this issue. As we've discussed we'd love nothing more than to keep this site free of all that non-productive drama.

I will be the first one to say not everyone can agree on everything, and I never expect that to be the case, however we can leave out of the mix stuff like sexual comments, threats of violence, constant harassment, attacking people on a daily basis, or starting threads that just promotes people being negative. I'm done with that its over.

Again on the flip side, I fully expect there to be issue that will arise and people will disagree and argue a point and that is perfectly okay until it starts down this other path of slander, threats, and everything else.

I will always believe you can learn more from a debate from two people who disagree than listening to two people who do agree...anyday!

But with all that being said, Nick I think you guys have a TON of GREAT things going for you... lets stick to helping your attraction get to the level you aspire it to be on and leave the Shane stuff behind! When Shane feels like he wants to come back and be productive and leave the drama for another site he's more than welcome to post here.

Until then lets all just stay positive and learn from each other whenever possible!

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President
              www.HalloweenProductions.com
              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Larry im staying extremely positive.
                DID YOU READ GREG'S LAST POST!!!!
                he completely insulted me and all the other home haunters.

he was talking about me because we had an uncle sponsor us, and we are selling our attraction for 10 grand. i know hes talking about me.

I SAID NOTHING ABOUT SHANE!!!
                WHAT!!??
                Will someone else help me out here i cant believe im being treated like this!

"it seems if you buy, no scratch that, your uncle buys for you, $56 worth of stuff from Spirit Halloween, you are now a "haunt owner" and that quaifies you to be included in the top 10 haunted house rating system, post on the pro forums and mention what Transworld has for announcements. Like you are even allowed out of the house after dark. Let the stupidity begin."

"Of course the little tweerp if they existed aren't paying rent, can open the refrigerator any time they want and even the computer and internet connection has been provided for them."

"I've noticed a lot of people have way too much free time and should have been at least stealing the change off of their guardians dresser and actually buying a ticket to a haunted house"

In reality if he tries to play it off like hes not talking about me it really shouldnt matter hes treating someone like crap and i cant believe your allowing this on your forums and telling me im a problem!!

Greg this is pretty low, making fun of kids!!!
                Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

Nick,

As you sweep through this industry something you let brush off your shoulder and move on some things are worth standing up to and fighting for but this isn't one I don't think.

Again I think you are going far but learn from what you read but stay clear of the drama it will keep your focus on what is important.

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Listen to Larry. He knows ALL about drama. LOL

Comment

You gotta have a thick skin

Hey Nick!
                      A thing that most of us have learned over time, is to develop a thick skin when it comes to the haunt industry. We, for the most part, are artists and therefore what we do is deeply personal. This can lead to hurt feelings and streetfights (fisticuffs anyone?? LOL). "Attacks" are unfortunatly a part of the biz - doesn't make it right or wrong, it is what it is.
                      It is very easy to get sucked up in the drama.
                      Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Nick,

I had no idea your uncle sponsored your haunt, no knowledge of how much money or time has been actually spent. You have communicated none of this in the past. I have sterotyped a composite of yes, kids. But, yes, the pile of lumber out in the yard you have pictures of is worth about $575 not $10,000. I bought my first 3,000 SF haunt 10 years ago for $475 and worked very hard for years remodeling it into a pro haunt. $21,000 later it is worth about $2700. The money does not come from selling the haunt pieces, it comes from money given by customers. Of course that is a pro haunt, which in the past, these forums have kind of been all about.

I kind of lived through child hood and know that biologically speaking you don't even have a fully formed frontal lobe until the age of 24. Some obviously mature far sooner but most do not. Some have unfortunately been disadvantaged.

There are thousands of haunts out there that have far more invested and decades, even several decades that know they aren't worthy of the top 10 list. They aren't bit dissappointed they weren't even mentioned. Somehow they have lots of time seeing other haunts and attending conventions to know better.

What are kids doing on here anyhow? Or are we supposed to lower the bar to make this some kind of Halloween Forum for special people just because there are kids and retards in this country? If anything, that was one of the things Shane would go on about when bashing some people that agreed with Larry. It was funny as hell but, you never said shame on Shane for disrespecting children.

A couple of years ago a 30 year old girl said she owned a haunted house and weeks later posted pictures of two card tables with plastic horses and dollar store Halloween decorations and was asking how to scare customers with this. Yes, a few haunters said oh dear, I see you have worked so hard and you should be proud of yourself. What kind of crap is that?

All these things you have identified with are so stereotypical of spoiled people. I run into them of all ages even as employees of mine. They can be 23 or 38 and still want it now wether they have earned it yet or not. They want it now even though perhaps a customer has not accepted the work and paid for it yet. In their minds everyone is just sitting on stacks of cash that they just aren't getting because the ones they are trying to hussle are keeping it for themselves. No one ever told them they have not earned it yet and no one has ever said no to them. Most of them end up in prison because they never take no for an answer.

Worst of all most of them never learn what quality is. They expect to be paid big bucks for crappy work and spending most of their time on cell phones instead of working or learning. They end up back in prison over and over instead of people actually taking them out, where the community can continue to provide for them.

So, nick another part of growing up is realising none of this haunted house entertainment thing is really that serious. You do what you can with what you have and try to have fun or a sense of accomplishment.

I went this year to quite a few relatively new haunts that have better stuff than I have been able to create, they have worked harder, pooled far more friends and seen way more customers than I have. Their entire concepts of how detailed scenes are and what is acting still blows me away. I'm still learning every freaking season that there are so many approaches to the mix of what is a haunted house. I'm 50 years old and some young people are big successes their first and fourth years out. They are kicking my ass. Not even in a competition kind of way. They are all the nicest people ever. They have the skills. They have the vision.

I'm smart enough to know it. I'm totally willing to admit it. It inspires me to do so much better and I know no one is going to hand me anything. I'm going to have to work harder. It isn't any longer in my area that people don't like haunted houses. It's they don't like half assed haunted houses.

When the yearly community outrages about billboards and even retarded Christmas displays hits the media, the thing isn't that people hate Halloween or Christmas. They rebel big time over seeing retarded stuff being displayed where the public can see it. They might say it is a religious reason but, mainly it is an out cry of how retarded this trash hanging here is and are the authoritied going to allow crap like this to be in our town? What's next letting everyone have cars up on blocks in their driveway?

Would you rather understand you can do better and be very successful or would you like to hear "Oh Darlin', you have worked so hard on all of that, you should be so proud, eat a big cooky for me and treat yourself"?

Half of the stuff I wrote on there I totally made up and some of it came from m observing that there really are 14 year old millionares and the media comes out with a story of a new one every 2 weeks. But, two weeks later they flop because they didn't do it themselves. Everything was handed to them as some kind of twisted learning lesson that screws them up for life. They learned how to do one thing on the Internet but, 6 months later everything on the Internet is totally different and they are back to the lemonade stand or selling drugs to child actors.

How many haunters do you see rockin' black American Express cards? How many haunters even still have their credit cards?

I'm not going to tell anyone they can't do it. I have had people tell me that my whole life and it doesn't seem to work. All that seems to do is really make me psychotic and realize how much of my life I have wasted even listening to people. I'm never going to tell you it shouldn't be done. But, I do have to stress don't be retarded and don't make retarded diplays whether you are a kid of not. Really know the value of what you have, whether it can be better, more complete and something to hang onto as a resource of great quality rather than something that would be real good as a liner for a land fill. That's why your panels have not sold real quick and it's also why your neighbor called the city.

I know your whole family and community had such a great time gathering and putting on your event. You may have indeed spent $10,000 somehow. It will be the memories of a life time for everyone. It wasn't on 82 sheets of 1/4 inch OSB some 2x2s and used paint. Not even on 6 sheets of styrofoam. Be real honest here.

This guy has been on here for months saying he is a "many year pro haunt owner" decribing how he had another great year, and people have again been wasting their time with him like he is someone they need to get to know. He's not a kid either. He has a front porch of crap.

But, I never mentioned any names.

Nick if you are going to say you are a haunt owner and going to have a pro location in a few years, you are either no longer a kid or you are living in a world of make believe where the $10,000 stash of cash fairy just pops in to people's lives when ever the click their heels together.

Is you family really teaching you a lesson that makes you brain work and form earlier or are you a kid being victimized by mean people on the Internet. It's up to you pal. Your on a haunted house forum. We proffesionally victimize people for a scare and money. We are not social workers or kindergarden attendants.

Who else thinks I might have hurt there feelings? It seems no matter how I just tell it like it is, the way I see it a lot of people take it personal.

No Nick, thank YOU. Every time I figure out what is right and wrong I learn something. Because it might help someone, I can't just shut up.
                        Last edited by Greg Chrise; 11-11-2008, 10:02 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
                          or you are living in a world of make believe where the $10,000 stash of cash fairy just pops in to people's lives when ever the click their heels together.
                          Hmmm, maybe I'm not doing it right. Do I need some special shoes or something? I keep clicking and this damn cash fairy aint showin up.
                          -Rob

Audio Guru
                          Lighting Designer

Comment

You have to sew a load of red sequins on your shoes.
                            sigpic

Comment

Greg speaks the truth, listen to him. Very informative.

Also to go back on your walls, you can't expect to get back what you invested in them. Even when haunts go on auction, they NEVER get back what they really spent for things. It's just they way it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X