Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRANSWORLD 09' Questions..

Hey all,

I'm looking for some help with a Transworld question I have. I went to the website to look up registration for the show and seeing how I am neither a vendor or owner of a haunt other than as home haunt I am wondering how I should go about signing up for the show?

The 5 bullet points then show for non vendors are:

Copy of Payroll Check/Stub with your Name and Company Name Imprinted
    Business Card with your Name and Company Name Imprinted
    Letter From OWNER/OPERATOR verifying employment
    Industry Related invoices over $200
    An invitation letter from a current Exhibitor

I do work full time as a Graphic Designer however it is not Haunt related design I am a bit stuck with how to proceed...

Any advice would be helpful as I would like to register for the show soon.

Thanks for the help!

Jay.

Being invited is the easiest, it could be any of the haunt magazine editors or a product vendor you might wish to see their wares closer.

As a graphics designer, perhaps for your current employer are considering providing work for the haunt industry or individual haunted house that are not exhibitors, also customers. You may chose to not ever provide such graphics after your visit with Transworld but, once on the list, you are on the list.

It is better to register and be accepted by phone rather than submit the 30 page National Security Clearance application.
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks Greg,

I guess I just need to find someone who will invite me now? Do you know any members on here who are vendors or might be able to help me out in that department?

I would like to visit a few vendors and do have a small budget for props this year but my main focus is the seminars.

Jay.

Comment

Get Larry to invite you, then buy a subscription to his Magazine or buy some videos. Many vendors of smaller products are also event organizers, consultants, haunt service providers beyond their wares offered at Transworld and would love to meet you. A $20 or $30 pay off is just customary.

When the list comes out of who the vendors are call any in your calling range for mutiple invites. You could get VIP status! Just kidding.

You could go as me since I'm not going this year, only a few people know what I look like but, there might be the fear of being shanked? When you least expect it. Certainly it will be tough to pick up chicks.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Frightguy1 View Post
          Hey all,

I'm looking for some help with a Transworld question I have. I went to the website to look up registration for the show and seeing how I am neither a vendor or owner of a haunt other than as home haunt I am wondering how I should go about signing up for the show?

The 5 bullet points then show for non vendors are:

Copy of Payroll Check/Stub with your Name and Company Name Imprinted
          Business Card with your Name and Company Name Imprinted
          Letter From OWNER/OPERATOR verifying employment
          Industry Related invoices over $200
          An invitation letter from a current Exhibitor

I do work full time as a Graphic Designer however it is not Haunt related design I am a bit stuck with how to proceed...

Any advice would be helpful as I would like to register for the show soon.

Thanks for the help!

Jay.
          I am in a similar situation, Jay. When you ask the pros about how to transition from home haunt to pro, most tell you to do research first: read the books, watch the DVDs, and to attend classes at conventions. This is a logical approach, except that you aren't allowed to attend TransWorld unless you're already in the industry.

Perhaps the answer is to attend a different convention? HauntCon, National Haunters Convention, Midwest Haunters Convention, etc.?

Or perhaps a new category of attendance could be created for the home haunter and/or aspiring professional at TransWorld? The badge for this category could be a certain color (maybe a scarlet letter "A"?). This would alert vendors to the fact that we're probably not worth "schmoozing" yet... ha! Of course some people who are home haunters now will actually make the successful transition to pro, and then they'll need props, lighting, sound, "the works" to fill their new haunts. I realize that a major point of TransWorld is to connect vendors with buyers, but it might be worth vendors' time to build a little rapport with people who are "on their way up"? Or even if this category of attendee wasn't allowed on the vendor floor, at least we could attend the other parts of the convention, especially the learning seminars.

I know conventions for other industries often have a "student" attendee category, so that college students majoring in the field can start to transition into their intended industry. Most industries see the value of encouraging "new blood", so to speak. Maybe TransWorld needs something similar for aspiring haunt pros? Just tossing out ideas. I have been trying to decide which Conference to attend myself, but I didn't realize that I wouldn't be allowed to attend TransWorld until I read Jay's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
            Certainly it will be tough to pick up chicks.

Yep. Thats gonna be the biggest challenge!
            Brad Bowen
            Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
            www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

I was in the same situation just a few years back. I believe you only need one of those five things listed. If I remember right I called them first. I just got business cards made with my haunt logo and my name on it and sent it in with the registration materials. It was a lot easier to get it than they make it sound.

Eric
              www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Hey guys..

Thanks for the advice thus far.

I have purchased 1 of the Hauntworld DVD's and 3 of the Mags so far (just trying to learn what I can from them.)

I posted another thread asking if anyone would be interested in inviting me to Transworld in return for some free graphic design as that is my trade by day so I will see how it goes. I wanted to offer something as a thank you.

I am in the process of obtaining a small business LLC and opening my haunt website "Grimlock Manor." A partner and I have begun a small budget an opened a business account at a local bank of ours so our next step is to research areas in NJ to rent for the Nov-Oct 09' Haunt season just to get an idea of pricing so we can add that to our budget.

I doubt I will be starting a full on Haunt at a location other than my house in 09' because I want to begin to build my funding for a professional haunt but going to the Transworld show is a definite part of my business plan..I do wish it was made more availible to us who are new to the Haunt seen and want to grow our business.

In no way do I want to jump into something like this without being more educated about it.I do intend on walking away with a few purchase at the show (if I attend.) but mostly I am aiming at the seminars.

Keep the advice coming all!! And again..if anyone could invite me I would be greatful!

Thanks!

Jay.

Comment

Like I said it's a lot easier to get in than it looks and it should be high on your list if you want to go pro. The seminars, especially Rich Hanf's and Ben Armstrong's were key in moving forward with my plan to make the leap from my home haunt to commercial. You sound like you have a very good start. I'm looking forward to touring Larry's haunt, the lights on tour should be an awesome learning experience for any haunter.

Good luck with your plan,

Eric
                  www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

it cost $200 to go

Comment

It may seem like a lot when you're just starting out. You could learn so much from it that the price will seem really insignificant in the long run if you are truly serious about going pro. Same thing with the seminars or video tapes you buy. Depending on when you start you could probably write it off as a business expense.

Eric
                      www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

You have to be 18 to attend the Transworld show.

Comment

Working...
                        X