looking for some big help!!!ANYONE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for some big help!!!ANYONE!!

Hey guyz how’s it going? Let me start off by saying sorry for being so long but I really need help and seeing that Halloween is gone it’s time to start lol. Some of you know me some don’t but I have been running a home haunt for the last 9 years called DONOVAN VILLE PENITENTIARY and this year with the opening of my online store NORTHERN SCREAMS FEAR STORE it helped open the doors for us to bring are Haunt and store into are Downtown local Mall. Witch was a great success for us and the 1st of it’s kind up here in Northern Ontario Canada. We had a huge haunt but need to improve….. I have most of this covered from all new wall panels and paint to a full off theme. But I am need of some help, any one out there that can lead me on the right path of us going to that PRO level. I need a mentor of such lol someone that would be willing to give me that leg up. Now I don’t have a lot of funds for the help but will being willing to discuss. I can build about anything on the lower level stuff but am a quick learner.

Now what I am really wanting is a way to control my whole haunt from a master control room, at the push of a button so to say. I would like a easy and cheap way to monitor every room and then be able to control the action, for the other rooms and hallways I would use motion sensors. The real reason for this is the haunt will be in the dark the group(guests) walking threw will be using a FLASHFRIGHT LIGHT (that I will have full control of) and as they walk into the different rooms that’s when the Action lights/props/sound/scares will come on! And with the cam’s I will be able to trigger it off when I see it is the right time. Also for those hallways I want to use motion sensors here to trigger air canons and pneumatic whips and some other stuff. I have always really just controlled everything from the different rooms in my home haunt but I just don’t have the actors to do this in are now grow haunt. So a master control unit would do the trick, I am new to all this Comp. stuff VSA? DMX and all this sounds like it would be what I might need but I really need someone to walk me threw this and help me take Northern Screams to the next level. I have been reading so many things and taking in so much info I think I am confusing myself and anyone that good help would be so appreciated…

Thankz Robby.

I highly recommend browsing the forums and reposting this on the
    http://www.efx-tek.com/ website, these guys are awesome and really know their stuff and provide tons of free help and advice.
    Allen H
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

You really need to get the book, "So You Want to be A Hauntrepeneur!" This is a great book about the business side of the haunt industry, it's helped us out tremendously in our first year! Check out the link.

http://www.eurekascreams.com/store.shtml

Comment

The kind of set-up you're talking about is very similar to something Steve Hickman did from his elaborate home haunt several years ago. You'll find lots of great stuff here -

http://www.terrorsyndicate.com
        Scott Simmons
        The ScareHouse / Undead Productions Inc.

http://www.scarehouse.com
        http://youtube.com/thescarehouse

Comment

You may want to check out the book "Control Systems for Live Entertainment" to give you a general idea of show control. It covers all the commonly used systems (and even some not so commonly used) and discusses how to intregrate it all.
          -Rob

Audio Guru
          Lighting Designer

Comment

Central Control

Robby,
            When your ready to tackle the central control, shoot us an email. We can help you lay out the control system and provide schematics, CAD drawings, etc.

Scott
            Scott Ames

Comment

I Know A Guy.....

Who did the whole "Centralised Command Room" thing. He tore it out after he visited my place to re-establish the actual human spontenaity and human inter-action level.
              To set it all up will take alot of time and money then if the customers are basically far away from this centralised room (How many "Eyes" will you have to hire to watch all those screens and make those button-pushing decisions correctly?)
              Abandoned customers have a way of reprisalling the equiptment, keep that in mind also. Good Luck, it sounds like an interesting challenge.
              In a perfect world.....

But don't get me wrong. Surveilence cameras are a must in a haunted house. The first year I had mine it sent the idiot customer to jail (Do not pass GO!) and I got to remain at home, it would have been his word against mine otherwise and he was a liar!)
              Last edited by Jim Warfield; 12-03-2008, 12:09 PM.
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thankz guyz this is what I needed some direction, Dr Spooktakular I am going to order that book today never seen it before, and I am tring to do a write up of how and what I really want now! I tried to explain but Iwill go into more detail later on and this will give you guyz the big picture.

SinisterControls
                Robby,
                When your ready to tackle the central control, shoot us an email. We can help you lay out the control system and provide schematics, CAD drawings, etc.

And Scott thank you for the offer I will keep that in mind if you can shoot me an email with your prices for this kind of work I have about $500/$1200 budjet and we still have a ton of props to build for next year so I am working around all this as much as i can.

Comment

Jim why did your friend tear out the system in the end? did he just go with sensors and stuff or did he go a different root? Also some of you have mentioned some books are there any that are a real must to start out, you know that will help give that leg up lol being in Canada the rules/laws are different and we were able to get away with a few things I know you guys can't so if I can cut some corners but still have a safe haunt I will be happy....
                  Last edited by nOrTHeRn TouCh; 12-03-2008, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nOrTHeRn TouCh View Post
                    Jim why did your frien tear out the system in the end did he just go with sensors and stuff or did he go a different root?
                    woohooo becoming a pro haunter yay Robby

BTW guys check Robby's website store at: www.northernscreamsfearstore.com

we designed it lol

*Alex*
                    Halloween, Gothic and Horror Design that will blow your mind!

Comment

Originally posted by robos99 View Post
                      You may want to check out the book "Control Systems for Live Entertainment" to give you a general idea of show control. It covers all the commonly used systems (and even some not so commonly used) and discusses how to intregrate it all.
                      This looks like a good book, but I noticed it was published in 2000---I'm sure there have been updates/advances in the technology, so is this book still relevant 8 years later? Is there a more current version out there?

EDIT--nevermind, there is a 2007 version out there that I missed on amazon.
                      Last edited by stonegate; 12-03-2008, 06:54 PM.

Comment

R (nt) , glad to see you here brother, ur in the right place to get this answer figured out for the help u need.
                        Can I know just get my burger?..lol

Comment

Thankz Johnny And thankz for the heads up about this four there are some great people out here with a lot of answers and I think I am finally getting somewhere.

O by the way, U want Fries wit that Burger lol....

Comment

You Get...

Flies with your booger whether you want them or nazi!
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by stonegate View Post
                              This looks like a good book, but I noticed it was published in 2000---I'm sure there have been updates/advances in the technology, so is this book still relevant 8 years later? Is there a more current version out there?

EDIT--nevermind, there is a 2007 version out there that I missed on amazon.
                              I haven't read the '07 edition (although maybe I should) but I can say that the older one is still pretty current. There are some newer technologies out there, and I don't recall it saying much about PLC's or wireless DMX (at least not an in-depth discussion) but it does cover most of the other technologies. Not just DMX but also some of the older lighting protocols...I think AMX was one. Not many people use these anymore unless you've got a bunch of ancient dimmers, haha. But yeah, great book, and I'm sure the '07 edition is even better. I may just have to go buy it now, haha.
                              -Rob

Audio Guru
                              Lighting Designer

Comment

Working...
                              X