Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does a warehouse cost you a year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a warehouse cost you a year?

I'm looking into renting a warehouse to host my haunted attractions. I was wondering how much you guys pay to rent one a year?

were looking into same thing.
    we have found 3600 square foot industrial/ warehouse buildings for 1000 bucks a month and 5000 square foot for 1500ish
    however not in prime location.

Let me ask this question, do you guys think it is better to spend more on advertising or more better location. i cant imagine how much more this type of building in a prime location would cost.
    Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

"Prime" vrs. "Worst"

Worst according to some anyway...The Ravens Grin location.
      Anything will "work", how hard do you want to work to make it work?
      That is the question.
      A location deemed not so peachy but kept as the same named haunted house year after year will make it alot easier for the returning customers to bring you new customers and save on needed advertising.
      When it comes to types of customers I would much rather see customers who really wanted to be here , and spent the effort to get here rather than someone just driving passed and seeing a building or a sign.
      I believe the majority of haunt customers usually plan to be there and make those efforts consciously.
      You might spend alot of time talking to the accidental passer-by who won't be buying a ticket, ever.
      "So what's inside?"(The usual, lungs, heart, spleen, kidneys)
      "Is it scary? Will it scare me?"(I'll scare you right here! I can do that and have done it many times, you are the 500th person this month to ask me that question , so here you go!")
      "Do we get our money back if we get too afraid and want to leave?" (Leave in what? That's my car now.)
      "Do I HAVE to wear shoes to go through?"(That's all you can wear.)
      "Can we smoke inside?"(Step over to my X-ray machine , let's see if you are smoking inside right now)
      "Will people be grabbing you inside?" (I don't have those special pliers for internal-grabbing)
      "Where can I put my purse? Will you take care of it for me?"(My huge purse collection awaits it)
      None of these things are ever said by those who made the effort just to be here.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Too open-ended a question. Prices could range from $100 to $1,000,000 a year or more.

Depends on your city, the area in the city, crime in the area, and the condition of the building (does it have fire sprinklers or bars on the windows?). Does the roof leak? Does the first floor flood when it rains? Is there adequate truck access?

That's just for storage. For a haunt, there are more questions. Is that fire sprinkler up to code? What is the zoning? Is the city receptive to a haunt there? Is there adequate parking nearby? Is there adequate parking nearby that you can actually use? Are the building's electrics up to par, or will you or the owner need to make some expensive upgrades? Are there enough fire exits?

That isn't much help, but the big question is: Can you make a successful haunt work there, whatever the terms and conditions are?

Comment

Haven't you ever heard the creedo.
          Location, Location, Location
          that still applies here.
          The better the location the better your opportunity to bring in an audience.
          But you still have to advertise.
          Kevin R. Alvey
          info at gore-galore.com
          www.gore-galore.com
          www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
          www.youtube.com/goregalore13
          www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Hmm

Look.....it is a very open ended question BUT.....Here goes nothing

DEPENDING on where you are located.....we are in the CHICAGO AREA
            Rent for a warehouse (that let's you do a haunted house) is going to be between 4.50 and 6.50 a square foot. Now since the market is down you may do better but there is a ton to consider in using a whse.

The main thing.....parking

Now we have about 18000 square feet and the bill is around $125,000 a year
            We have to rent 2 other parking lots and man them with security and attendants to be able to park people.

One bad thing about a whse? Damn ceilings are 35 feet tall
            Wish we could do a 2nd story.....
            Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

Ken,

I really enjoyed your lights on tour a few years back. I was impressed with the high ceilings in there at that time also. You could always have a giant monster hanging from the ceiling...LOL! Let me know, I may start a big monster custom prop making business someday if the demand is there.

Eric
              www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Hmm

Unless it is going to fall on someone to draw their attention up......will do me no good.
                We put up a dragon animation.......people never saw the darn thing 10 feet in the air....looked cool if they saw it

Thanks on the tour comments.....I hate the place...lol....glad others like it!!!

Comment

Noticing? WHUTT?

I have a pair of legs hanging down from a hole in the ceiling wearing ice skates.
                  A pretty tall person can bump their head on them, it has happened , and they never even look up to see what it was!?
                  If you are going to put alot of effort into a display that is up in the air you better do some lighting or sound or movement to draw their attention to it.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Um Jim....we did that

I did do that Jim.....
                    The damn thing tipped forward like the TREX in JP...
                    Growls REALLY loud....and has flames all around it

It is very obvious that something is there.....maybe the 10 corpses moving around as they walk through throws it off?

Comment

Ken were you open this season? I drive past that area everyday on my way to work, and I recall seeing the signs out for Dreamreapers last year...didn't see anything this year.

Hey if you want a new location I know a huge building in the burbs that I think is around $2/SF. Ceilings might even be less than 35 feet. Of course, I think I did hear someone say that the roof is bad....the building has been vacant for around 10 years, so that just might be why. haha.
                      -Rob

Audio Guru
                      Lighting Designer

Comment

hmmm

Well if we weren't open......I was tired from doing a whole bunch of nothing then.

We are there for 4 more years......then who knows

Comment

Working...
                        X