Beginner seeking advice from veteran haunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=tchaunt;55604]@asanve:
    I've been checking in on Craigslist since your post. So far, I haven't found anything (that's still open).
    It would have been nice to run into one of the deals you found, let alone ALL of them.

It kind of came all at once. I had been looking for quite a while then all of sudden there was a ton of stuff all at once. Within three weeks I had acquired all of the stuff. I haven't found anything worthwhile in the last 6 days. Just keep looking--stuff will come along. Just before Halloween I found straw bales on craigslist and picked up 14 of them for free, but then I didn't start finding things again until late December.
    Let me bore you for a moment with a story. My passion for Halloween stems from my childhood--my mom used to decorate our house every year. She got empty cardboard refrigerator boxes and opened them up and cut out a haunted house from it. She made a witch from an old string mop (used for hair), pinned a pair of pants to an old blouse and stuffed it with newspaper to make the body, then covered it with an old raincoat, put on a pair of old high-heeled shoes and put on a witches mask and a broom in her hand. She made a giant monster out of my dads shirt and pants--she cut the legs off of one pair of pants and sewed them onto the bottom of the other pair of pants to make it really tall and then sewed the shirt to the pants and stuffed it with newspaper for the body and put a devil mask on it. She then hung it between the gates into our yard and people had to walk underneath it to enter. She also stuffed a sheet to make a ghost and put it on a pulley. She hung one end of the pulley from the telephone pole outside our yard and pulled the ghost up to the telephone pole and when people would enter the yard she'd let it go and it would fly down in front of them and scare the s**t out of them. We had some other stuff too, but you get the idea. This started when I was about 5 years old--in 2 weeks I will be 55! It was great fun and it cost practically nothing back then. There's a lot of stuff that can be done inexpensively to start out, and each year you just add and get bigger and better. Halloween is my passion, but like most other people I hold down a regular job (60+ hours a week)! I've always decorated for Halloween but in the last 6 years we have had a home haunt and hope within the next few years we can go pro. Over the years I have probably invested over $20,000 in Halloween. That's not really that much but it's a hell of a home haunt right now and we're growing bigger each year. Don't get discouraged--start out small and grow. You have a lot of years ahead of you to make your dreams come true. Whatever money you make from it put back into it and eventually you will have your dream!

Comment

• Do you have a Freecycle program near you? That had been a good souce of materials as well.

But similar to Craigslist, sometimes you find a bunch of amazing items, and other times its a dry spell.
      Katie Lane
      Partner/VP
      Raven's Wolf Art Productions (www.ravens-wolf.com)
      sigpic

Bansheette Morningstar (www.bansheette.com)

Comment

• @asnave:
        Wow. See, I never I have that kind of luck. I was expecting to find something yesterday since I saw 13 at least 8 times. But, nothing ever came up.
        I never decorated much for halloween until a two years ago. That I had a Halloween party set up somewhat like a haunted house in my garage.I experienced my first scream from that night (even if it was a basic scare). But I couldn't decorate last year because I was an idiot and joined marching band. Finals was the weekend after halloween. So, the entire week of halloween and the week after it, we were practicing. The only day we didn't practice was Sunday. Need I say I didn't have enough time or energy to decorate.

Thanks for all the support.

@BruiseMuse:
        I did a search and found a chapter in Campbellsville. It has nearly 5,000 members.
        I'm going try to join the group. Thanks for the tip.

@Everyone:
        This question is sort of random, but I was wondering, what is you favorite way to set up a haunt, 90 degree setup or 60 degree setup, and why?
        ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
        Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• Nevermind, the freecycle group only has 86 members. I read it too fast. XD
          ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
          Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• TC, there is already a discussion about 60 vs 90 here: http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...ead.php?t=7029
            -Rob

Audio Guru
            Lighting Designer

Comment

• @robos99:
              Oh, sorry. If I had noticed that thread, I wouldn't have posted. Thanks for the link.
              ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
              Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• Old Orchard Park's Haunted House and Hayride

I may be new to the forum, but not to haunted houses. I have run our Haunted House for six or seven years now, and along the way found some ideas that may help you. I'm not sure if I need to, but I start by saying: Any information written below is strictly that, "information". What anyone does with it is THEIR responsibility and I will not be responsibile for anyones actions arising from anything read here.
                I have found that the best sound system for us is hand-me-downs. Old stereos, Tuners, and anything else with Auxillery Audio inputs. Radioshack carries cables to hook just about anything audio to anything else. Things that work great with "Auxillery" inputs are portable cd players and MP3 players. The cheap MP3 players work just as good as the expensive ones, and very easy to work with. Hand-me-down speakers work great at low levels (even the cheap ones), and if you break one, its no big deal.
                We designed a wall panel that is fairly cheap, durable, easily repairable, paintable, and is very user friendly. I would ask for an ADULTS help with this one. To build you will need: 3-8' 2"x4"s, 1-8'x4' sheet of O.S.B.,7/16" thick, and some 3" drywall screws. As far as tools go, a circular and radial arm saw, drill, and a table saw with a dado blade. Cut one 2x4 in half (48"),this will be the top and bottom. The other 2x4's will need 3" cut off of each. After the 2x4's are cut to length, adjust your dado blade to cut a slot 1/2" wide and 1/2" deep on the table saw. Cut a groove lengthwise on ONE side of each of the 2x4's. Next, the O.S.B. will need to be cut down to a finished size of 94" by 46". To finish, the 2x4's will fit around the O.S.B. to form a "frame." The side 2x4's should go on first, followed by the top and bottem. Once all are in place, use two screws on each corner to hold together. I also use two 1 1/2" drywall screws midway on each side, screwed into the O.S.B. to keep the sides in place. To join panels together, just use a few of the 3" screws to screw them side by side. If this panel is used in an "L" or "C" shape, it generaly supports its own weight, however Ask an Adult for their opinion. These can get VERY heavy if you attach them side by side in a strait line! Most of all, use common sense here.
                Our favorite form of lighting is plain old incandesent bulbs. Just remember- you dont always need a ton of light! Also, you can get great effects by shining through and bouncing light off of the floor and walls. These bulbs also get very hot, so watch for potential fire hazards!
                My favorite scare tactics are misdirectional ones. When you get the crowd's attention in one direction and then scare them from another. I think you should use whatever scares you can no matter how long you have been running you haunt, my only advice is that whatever you do, don't leave the crowd asking questions like "What was that thing supposed to be"?, unless that's what your going for.
                I personally think that thier will never be anything better than a real, live actor. Just do what you can do, and nothing more. Focus on creating a good quality Haunt, instead of throwing stuff up just to make it big.
                Hopefully their are some things hear that will help you on your journy through all things haunted! Stay Safe and have your parents help as much as possible!

Comment

• @oscoda:
                  Thank you for all of that information. About how much does each wall panel cost using your system? Have you tried using JB Corn's wall panel? If so, are your measurements cheaper/sturdier than his?

Most of the work that I'll do that uses the serious power tools will have to be done in someone else's garage. Again, thanks for the info.

@Everyone:
                  Does anyone know of a good free website where you can set up surveys with multiple question types (like where answers can be typed in, chose from a drop-down menu, selected from a list using a radio, checking all boxes that apply, etc.)?
                  ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                  Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• Your quite welcome. The cost per panel will vary depending on lumber prices, so look for deals throughout the year. A good price for O.S.B. is around $6.50 a sheet and about $2.00 per 2x4, so about $12.50 all together, excluding screws. Unfortuatly, I'm not sure where to find JB Corn's wall panel info, but I can say that these are Extremely durable, I've put mine up and taken them down each year for at least five years, and even moved them more sometimes, and they are still doing fine. In my opinion, they would be a great investment, say maybe a few each year, and build up your stash. If one is damaged somehow, it's very cheap and easy to fix! The only con would be that you have to have a place to store them out of the weather.

Comment

• @Oscoda:
                      If you want, I can give you the link to the books.

Okay. Thanks. I'll probably use your plans then. JB Corn's are about $20 a wall panel.
                      BTW, check your thread about the rooms.
                      ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                      Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• The way suggested sounds very professional and strong. However, the JB Corn way requires very little sawing, selecting studs already to lenght and the boards layed flat so the storage off season takes up literally half of the space.

If you put a 2/4 in any kind of stress mode it can take 4200 pounds verticle on edge 2100 pounds and layng flat 400 pounds. What you are constructing is a non load bearing wall.

Plus, working with wood walls is intended to have some bend to put the whole system together instead of the entire thing being machined out of billet aluminum. Even single side panels may seem a little floppy, but once all affixed together as a system are quite strong. In fact you have at each joint 2 2x4s right next to each other.

Typically a good JB Corn Panel, the top 2x4 is over top of the verticle lumber, the bottom 2x4 is inside the other two cut at around 42 inches? So this brings us back to new or used?

You can take old 2x4 s that you can cut the 42 inch and 4 foot piece out of and all the rest is new stud. So, you have only used a saw to make two cuts per panel. Spend more time on what decor will be in that room than become a cabinet maker.

However, do paint all the pieces prior screwing it all together so it lasts 25 years. I actually have some of Castle Dragon in my haunt that is now 30 years old. That's what I'm talking about. How much do you think wood cost 30 years ago? versus replacing it ever 5 years?

The comparison of going cheap and scrounging around vs buying used and including junk?

My first 1000 SF of the haunt cost $475, the second 1000 SF of the haunt cost $2500 the third 1000 SF of the haunt cost $3500. This trend illustrates having more money than time and being ripped off by helpers not really doing the work. An entire 3,000 SF haunt could be built from used panels with new paint, some torn down buildings and some construction take off for as low as $1500 if you try. Or you could order an $85,000 turn key attraction.

If you steal all the spare change off your dad's dresser at about $3.75 per week, you could have your own pro attraction in only 400 weeks! Thats only 7.7 years!
                        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

• Okay. Never mind. I'll just build JB Corn's walls that way I can save space.
                          @Greg:
                          Are you saying you were ripped off on the $475 haunt or the $3000 haunt?
                          ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                          Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• I am incredibly mad at myself right now. The one day I forgot to check Cragislist, an ad about cubicle walls went up. Simply put, I want to scream (yes, I do have random impulses to scare-act).

On a different note, what would be the best way to use a motion sensor on a custom prop. Would it be best to hook up a PIR sensor to a prop-1 controller, etc? Also, how could you do that? (Sorry. I am trying to get into the more technical side of haunts) Any help would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know of any good free websites where you can set up a survey?

Another question: Do you have any ideas for something I can do online to raise funds? I was thinking I could do something like a logo/logotype design business, but I'm pretty sure that won't get me too much money.

Any answers will be appreciated!
                            ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                            Campbellsville, KY

Comment

• TC, I've always found farms to be a good source for junk, and as long as you're willing to haul it away they'll probably let you have it for free. You might also want to try scavenging on garbage days. In my area there's a truck that always comes around the neighborhood looking for good stuff. It's a win-win situation, since we leave out stuff that they the garbage men would not normally take, but the scavengers will grab it right away. If you can get someone to drive a truck around with you, you might be able to find some goodies. Granted you won't find any cubicle walls, but you may find furniture and carpet, possibly scrap lumber. Construction sites are a great source for scrap lumber. Just don't take the GOOD lumber, or you might find yourself in some trouble.

As for the motion sensor...well I'm not really an experienced haunt/prop builder, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I do know electronics and control systems pretty well. I think it would depend on exactly what you're building and how you're controlling it. A motion sensor will give out a closed-contact response when activated, so this itself might be enough to trigger your prop. If your prop was intended to be controlled simply by flipping the power switch, you'd either need to use a relay on this, or you could buy one of those motion sensor light switches from the hardware store. Either way, you're working with high voltage, and that can kill ya, so make sure you know what you're doing. Don't cut any corners when it comes to electricity, the risks are too high. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, have someone help you.

I don't know of any websites where you can setup a survey, but I'd bet that if they exist, they're not very good. If you only plan on having a handfull of responses then it might be acceptable to do a basic form that will email you the result, and you can compile the responses. But anything serious and you're going to want to store it in a database and write a program that can compile all this data for you. There probably already exist programs or at least bits of code that can do all this for you, but I'm not sure where those would be. It might be worthwhile to learn PHP, which I've found to be rather easy. Then you only need a website that supports PHP and a database, and I think there are some free ones out there offering this. If not, the bare bones ones aren't too expensive.

Raising money can be rather difficult if you haven't established your business, and you don't really have any marketable skills right now. You may just have to start off very very small. You'll need to put your own money into haunting your yard/garage for a while. Of course, you could always try to convince a local organization to do a charity haunt themselves, and allow you to be involved in the project. It likely wouldn't make YOU any money, but it's a great way to gain some experience. You've mentioned that you do marching band...when I was your age the school did a "haunted bandroom" for the first time ever, and it was a hit. Of course it was also my first taste of scaring people, and got me hooked. Maybe you can convince your school to do something similar. In the meantime, you might want to just find ways to make yourself more money. Do odd jobs for people, mow lawns, shovel driveways, babysit...anything to make a few bucks.
                              -Rob

Audio Guru
                              Lighting Designer

Comment

• TC, I've always found farms to be a good source for junk, and as long as you're willing to haul it away they'll probably let you have it for free. .....to drive a truck around with you, you might be able to find some goodies. Granted you won't find any cubicle walls, but you may find furniture and carpet, possibly scrap lumber. Construction sites are a great source for scrap lumber. Just don't take the GOOD lumber, or you might find yourself in some trouble.
                                My community only has days like this.....about once a year I think.

I don't know of any websites where you can setup a survey, but I'd bet that if they exist, they're not very good. If you only plan on having a handfull of responses then it might be acceptable to do a basic form that will email you the result, and you can compile the responses. But anything serious and you're going to want to store it in a database and write a program that can compile all this data for you. There probably already exist programs or at least bits of code that can do all this for you, but I'm not sure where those would be. It might be worthwhile to learn PHP, which I've found to be rather easy. Then you only need a website that supports PHP and a database, and I think there are some free ones out there offering this. If not, the bare bones ones aren't too expensive.
                                I used to work with PHP, but I haven't worked with it for a really long time. In other words, I've forgotten pretty much everything. But I do have a website that allows for unlimited databases.
                                Raising money can be rather difficult if you haven't established your business, and you don't really have any marketable skills right now. You may just have to ...a hit. Of course it was also my first taste of scaring people, and got me hooked. Maybe you can convince your school to do something similar. In the meantime, you might want to just find ways to make yourself more money. Do odd jobs for people, mow lawns, shovel driveways, babysit...anything to make a few bucks.
                                I have a few fundraisers planned already, but I am wanting to get as much money as I can before this season. I at least want enough money to build most of the wall panels this year. Right now, I could build one. XD I only have like $28 right now. Without any fundraising, I'll have enough money to start a haunt in 5 years (doing chores and getting good grades). Actually, I just remembered something. I have a little over $300 in my bank account that I may be able to use if I have to.
                                Last edited by tchaunt; 01-19-2009, 12:15 PM.
                                ~Jon-Kyle Bailey
                                Campbellsville, KY

Comment

Working...
                                X