Shane's Show Scoop! The Run Down! Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shane's Show Scoop! The Run Down! Part 1

Wow where do I start. Let me warn you this may be long, it may offend some, it could be a can or worms that I may be opening. This is about my over view and my opinions as things went from my perspective. So here goes!|

Day 1.... We start the day off at 6:00am in the morning making the drive to St.louis the drive was nice. We arrived at the hotel at 2:00pm we made 2 stops on the way and took our time so we made good time. We checked into the hotel and the staff was very nice and accomidating I strongly recommend this hotel for the future nice rooms and confey beds!
    We go out and decide to walk around town for a bit. I can say I have never seen so many beautiful buildings only to have a sign that says 'lofts for rent" its like the downtown area is on life support and they are just draging out its death.

Now on to 8:00 pm. We head over to Jakes for my dinner it was about 7:30 and Tim Turner was in there waiting on everyone. He give me 4 awsome large photos to give away. It was going on 8:00pm and I had to say I started to think shit no one is gonna show! Then the bottom falls out people start pouring in. Kevin and the Gore Galore bunch came in, then my best buds the Atrox guys, then another vendor Fright Theatre, and then more and more the room was nice and full! Then they had to seat some in the front because the room was full. Next year a bigger room I promise!!!!!

Leaonad Pickle comes in and announces to my guys that hes putting Graystone Manor in Haunted Attractions Magazine this year which is a real honor no matter what magazine your in. At the end of the dinner we gave a total of 16 door prizes ranging in value from $50.00 to $400.00 and a money pot that was over $100.00 just for the fun of it! We end our dinner and all migrate over to the Ren Bar!

We arrive back at the hotel and man I was so honored people kept coming up and introducing themselves to me and offering my drinks on top of drinks! I don't drink but my Doctor was more than glad to sit in for me for free drinks. Around midnight I head up for a good nights sleep! Shane and its continued on next page. Shane this time!
    Last edited by graystone; 03-31-2009, 11:16 AM.
    sigpic

Day 2 Friday!

I walk into the Show at around 10:30am. There was so much to see I really did not know where to start. One of the first booth I passed was Fright Theatre and he tells me how he enjoyed the dinner at Jakes and told me I helped him save a lot on his hotel room and for me to pick out any prop he had there and it was mine free of charge!!!! WOW talk about Trick Or Treating High Style! This also happened with seveal vendos who gave me a nice gift or a awsome discount! Thanks Guys Now My Head Is Even Bigger LOL! Really THANKS it was a real honor.

Well I am now about an hour into the show and have already been stoped many times and people introducing themselves. Had one guy ask for my autograph on his HauntWorld Magazine which I fell out and ask him if he was serious? He was and I signed it! I got a gut feeling that Larry signed the same magazine I did. LMAO oh well its all in fun!

Well moving on up the floor and I see this drop dead georgeous. lovely lady that I already knew it was Patti form HauntWorld. ( Larry I really do hate you!) Had a great hug from her and we chatted. She did try her best to get Larry over but I did not have my pepper spray and if I did I would be afraid it would get some on her!

I kept scanning the show floor through out the day. I left a little before 5 to get ready for the Coulmbia tour. I missed the HHA meeting as I totally forgot about it!
    Well we leave the hotel to head out to the Columbia tour. I was so pissed damn GPS kept sending us on streets that were closed! If I hear turn right and make a Uturn once more that SOB is heading out with the trash. It took an hour to get back on track! Paul and the Atrox guys was with us and it was a blast my ribs are still hurting from all the laughing! Poor Kenny at the gas station ( you just have to be there to understand).

We get to Necropolis Haunt first. We stand out in the cold to the point I was about to go back to the Van and say screw it! There was a boy that kept telling everyone in line that there was a film crew inside filming and he was holding up everything. Here is some suggestions to Necropolis let the F***ers film on a day when people that paid is not standing out in the cold freezing their ass off! Oh I forgot you already had our money! It was clear that getting footage of their haunt was more important to the ones that paid to go to the haunt! Hell I guess we actually paid for the crew now that I think about it! Bottom line treat haunters as you would treat your guest! If you do treat your guest that way its clear your days are numbered! Once we got into the haunt it was a good haunt good with old school!

Now we leave and go to Fearfest! We get there and was greeted with a Warm Welcome we forgot about the cold because of they way we were treated! ( Necropolis call them they will give you some pointers). We go through the haunt again a mix of old and new school and WE LOVED IT!! IT WAS A BLAST! JUST A PLAIN GREAT HAUNT AND WHAT A FUN HAUNT SHOULD BE!!!! Greg 5 stars buddy it was a blast for us all! We leave and return to the hotel around 3:00am needless to say I hit the sack! Shane and its Good Night more to come! Shane this time!
    sigpic

Comment

Here we are on day 3!

Well its a later start for me I arrive on the show floor around 11:00am remember I was out till 3:00am Saturday morning. Day 3 is more of the same walking talking and looking I look and do all my buying the last day. This way I can watch and see what is broke and how many times its been down! I will never buy at first look! Trust me follow this method and it will save you a lot of money and headach.

I spend a little time in the Dark Zone it seems smaller than in years past. David again had some good looking products but I noticed more than once he seemed to be having several issues with his products! Hes got great sculpters but hes lacking MAJOR ON THE MECHANICS! I also noticed the prices were high for the issues they were having. Now back out on the main show floor still meeting tons of people. I leave around 4:30pm. We hard over to Hooters to eat. The waitress was very, very nice she did not have the best knockers out there but they look warm and inviting! I think at one time one of them winked at me.

Well now we arrive at the Darkness the line stretched all the way to Kansas city. I seen several homeless people peeking through the tin under the overpass by the Darkness and seen a few hookers they were running a Darkness special. They made good because they were the only way to get entertainment, get warm and out of the rain! I have noticed some red spots down there I am just hoping its a rash and not some STD!

Ok I have been standing out in the cold and rain for well over an hour. One thing that really bothered me was my personal Idol Phillip Morris was standing at the front of the line he seemed cold and wet. I do think Phillip should have been shown more respect because of his iconic value in this industry and his age!

Well finally after what seemed like 10 hours we get in. I did enjoy the holding room with all its decore. I made it up to the door and had a few words with Larry on a professional manner. We go through the haunt lots of decore and I do mean lots if I did not know better I would have swore I was at the Scarefactory showroom. When I go through I did notice lots of actors who did not know what to do or was too busy with their text sex they were having. I will give Larry this its a truly amazing haunt with all the decore and static props. But for some reason I wanted to pull out my putter and play putt putt golf! I did get a couple of scares I admit the lil black guy being one! I did get a laugh that made me fall out when a chick held the curtin closed and told us to hold up that she was gonna scare us! LMAO thanks for the warning!!!! Well I make it through the haunt and into the Terror Visions. I was told by several that was their favorite I liked the haunt but i did not care for the Terror Visions part myself at all.

Well now I am out and want to do some bidding on the auction. The auction got a head of itself and there was nothing left to bid on. On well back to the hotel. Meeting more people and just hanging out chilling out! I talked to so many people I am horse and have a sore throat today! Its now 1:30am and I am heading to my room to dry off and get some sleep! Shane and its the conclusion is coming up next! Shane this time!
      Last edited by graystone; 03-31-2009, 08:50 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Day 4 its Sunday!

Well I arrive at the show at 10:00am. I have looked, watched, and listined for the past few days. I end up buying from the following...

CFX.. bought several mask
        Ghost Ride
        Gore Galore
        Fright Theatre
        Morris Costumes
        Haunted Enterprises ( coffin ride)
        NightScream Productions ( I know what the rumor was and they assured me that was not true. If it is well lets just say the Shane Train will crash that party but at this point I will say I believe them)
        I also bought several small ticket items lots of mask, makeup some costumes. I also intend to do business with..
        PaleMoon or Palelight Keps Company
        Ken at Senister Scents
        Poison Props
        Edge Design
        and a few others.

Jam Bam managed to sneek a picture in with me and Larry and everyone was good sports about that. Sunday night was quiet looks like everyone went home and no one was in the lobby. Ben and Billy came up to my room and me and Ben talked till after 1:00am then I hit the sack!!! Shane and its about to head home! Shane this time
        Last edited by graystone; 03-31-2009, 11:55 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

I was still there Sunday night.
          Jared Layman

Comment

Yeah, the auction was on a roll and we lost track of time for a few minutes towards the end, then stopped to catch up and got back on schedule! When you were there Shane there was a huge crowd as it was around 9pm or so I guess, but there were many bidders there then. When we paused for a while between 10:30 and 11pm it seemed most people were through the Darkness already as the last few auctions were not as well attended as the first couple of hours. But, the best deals were to be had the last hour with the smaller groups there!!

Allan

Comment

Well I am heading Home

Its Monday morning. I am riding home thinking about the show. All in all it was a good show. I talked to many vendors who said it was everything from great, to slow, to down right sucked. I think the smaller ticket guys knocked it out of the ball mark! As far as the big ticket guys the quality needs to match the price some did it others well lets just say did not do it! Well for me anyway some did and some did not.

For me to sit here and list all the people I meet all I can say is its no way I could list or ever remember them all. Guys I have a hard time remembering what I did last night much less trying to remember everyone. If you did come up feel free to remind me here so I can keep a list for future reference! To all the haunts you guys need a good rest and a pat on the back. All in all they were good but I suppose like everyone else there is parts that needs work! Vendors same goes for you give yourself all a pat on the back and a good rest! Well I am tired and half way sick this morning damn germ infested people!!!!! I hope you will continue to read and follow my rants, raves and in some cases out right attacks. Its who I am and I call them as I see them. Again at the end of the day were all a big family with their ups and downs! Shane and its Now You Know The Rest Of The Story! Shane this time!!

P.S. IF YOU ATTENDED THE DINNER PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF IT? NEXT YEAR TRASWORLD WILL BE INVOLVED AS I WANT TO MAKE THIS AN ANNUAL EVENT!
              Last edited by graystone; 03-31-2009, 12:01 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Hmmm

Shane.....you look nothing like what I thought you would!!!!!!

Weather? Come on....that was better than Chicago??????

I have no issue with people bringing their crews to shows......We had 15 or us there. BUT it does seem a little crazy that TW is saying they had over 4000 qualified people in attendance.

HMMMMMM if we all brought 15 people that would be 266 qualified buyers at the show this weekend. WOW.....see the difference from a vendors side of things?

I can't complain....we were busy the entire weekend.

I can complain about 1 thing though.....
                I am really tired of people who just don't understand business.
                We (vendors) spend a bunch of money doing these shows and creating new products.....ours were costumes this year. I thought we were safe from the usual....WE CAN MAKE THIS OURSELVES....but i was wrong.

I didn't see their name tags so I can't call them out here......BUT.
                Saturday afternoon.....a few people came to the booth to check out the costumes...cool no problem. Well these guys stepped up and basically took pictures of every section of distressing on our corpse costume. I stepped back and just watched. If the mannequin was a human....they would have been arrested for stripping the poor guy in public while they tried to see how I made the thing. I am ok with that....until they take even more pics of how it was assembled and the tags in the costume to see where I get the body suits from.

Well me in my oh so happy tone simply said.......Come on...just pay me the $125 for a plain suit.......and you can rip it apart and make all you want.....at least pay me for what I have tought you though.....

The answer I got....should not be a suprise to anyone....
                WELL YOU KNOW HOW IT IS ... COME ON MAN EVERYONE IS GOING TO RIP THESE OFF

Welcome to the haunt industry!!!!!!
                Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

Ken

We are going to purchase one for sure. We or should I say I could not decied on which one. So now I have to meet with the boys and say which will work where! I thought as far as costumes your's blew them out of the water!!!!! No one came close this year on the theam and looks!!! Your was much the hit that the guys from Spookywoods was last year ( I might add another good company and products) Ken LMAO did you have me pictured as Pamala Anderson LMAO. Actually no one I meet was how I had them pictured this year as well. Shane and its makup! Please Shane this time!
                  sigpic

Comment

Thougths

Shane,

The TW dinner I missed but won't next year. Saw the Darkness on Thursday and shared the Sat ticket with my crew. Darkness sets were great, popular, and the crowd; its control and snafus were left to desire. Larry opened for the industry, peers, and $$. We all would given the chance.

That said, I will help you with next year's "Shane's Gathering", just let me know.

Ken, Your costumes were awesome. They are in my distant future. My artist is awesome and does create some of his own for us, though he doesn't rip off like those you described. Kevin told me at the show he had some just like that on his awesome stuff. We do buy your awesome sinister scents to add realism to our event. Still remember the actor telling me of a customer that was approaching the clown set and stopped, said "cotton candy, oh no, CLOWNS!!" and knew it was inevitable. Many do smell and connect, others don't.

Our order is coming later.

As for our crew, we had ten scheduled for St Louis and ended up with seven. I am the buyer, so your figures are probably right on for buyer numbers.

Until TW left Chicago, we would drive 15-18 of our crew to TW, but we would have a show meeting before hand and discuss etiquette on taking printed flyers/catalogs and behavior. Vegas: I took one helper. Midwest Haunters is now our crew destination. Last month 30 had said they were interested in going, though I think that will shrink to 20.

Hope to see you all at the MWH. 2009 will be good!
                    Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                    Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Ken, It was great seeing you and I am planning on ordering some scents at MHC. regarding your costumes, FRAKING amazing! I would love to order 1-2, especially a crushhorn, but I am the only one of my crew that I would trust with a $3000 costume. Unfortunately I spend too much time dealing with issues when we open. It is getting better, so hopefully someday I will get a longer chance to play when we are open...
                      Ron
                      www.atheateroflostsouls.com Or if you need makeup or supplies www.abramagic.com

"I am a frickin evil genius who deserves some frickin respect!"

Comment

Jam

Next years Insane Shane dinner will be over the top now what I see there is the interest and the support there for it! I am going to need help and alot of it! TransWorld is going to take a part into it as well. I really hope Larry see's it as a good thing for us all to get together for food, fun and fellowship! Also I have already had tons of Vendors say they did not know or they would have donated! Next year I am going to have 50 door prizes you just watch!!! Shane and its Larry your invited too! Shane this time!
                        sigpic

Comment

It was a pleasure!

Transworld follow up.
                          It was so great to put a face with a name with so many people. And Sally and myself could have talked to Shane all night. What a Genuine, great, funny, person. And Shawn from your crew was great to talk to as well. I can see why you love your crew so much!

The amount of people that were packed in the trade show was astounding. It was busy from 9:30-5:00 everyday except Sunday. I would call the show a BIG success. I know some VENDORS did better then others but thats business i guess. Trying NEW products and ideas is a risk we all take. Some things sell, others dont.
                          ANYWAY.... Just wanted to thank everyone for coming by and introducing them self to me through out the show.
                          Lots of laughs through out the week. The Hotel Renaissance across the street from the convention was a great set up too. And again THANK YOU SHANE FOR THE PRICELINE INFO on the HOTEL!!!! I still owe you at least a few beers!
                          And if you have any questions or need anything, give me a call or email.
                          sigpic
                          PEACE, ADAM
                          www.poisonprops.com

Comment

Shane you looked pretty close to what I envisioned. I was surprised that you seemed quiet though. Unless you just didn't feel like talking.
                            Jared Layman

Comment

Jared LOL

Wow you got some big arms bet ya could beat someone down LOL! Trust me someone else said that I seemed quiet. I may have seemed a little quiter at the Bar as I am out of my element there. I always feel out of place in a Bar as I am not a drinker! BUt trust me if you seen me on the show floor you would see that I talked so much I have no voice today. There was a rumor going round and everyone came to the mouth to the south to go and check it out!!!!!!!!! LMAO I did and many know what it is because they came up to me. So my friend trust me. Next year Good Lord will I hope you can attend the dinner! Shane and its I look forward to some one on one chat with you Jared next time! Shane this time!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X