Transworld Show 2010 ... Your opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the show, pleasantly surprised!
    I would like to see some retail that combines naturally with the haunt industry, like more costuming, and definatley more make up and SPFX.
    I do agree about the time it took to go through the show. I could see everything 2 - 3 times in one day. So hopefully, vendors will see this success and fill that baby to capacity!
    As for St louis, there was a variety of food places to go, alot to see in walking distance!
    The bar, though, didn't have any real atmosphere. In Chicago, there was music and dancing, which really got people moving around. I missed that!
    Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

I've been one for both shows combined again, but not at the gain of the retail show, which is what it would be now.

Leave the show where it is, if retail vendors want to come great.

Start the show on Thursday, end on Saturday, or Sunday early, would be nice to have Sunday to unwind a bit, tie up loose ends, vendors and buyers could meet off the show floor if needed, and head home.

The show was successful, it will grow, more vendors will hear it went well, and will be there next year, whereas, as I've said, unless Rubies and TW patch things up the TW retail show looks dead.

I wouldn't mind seeing the show in a city for 2-3 years, then in another for 2-3 years, similar to what IAAPA does.

Do not let them move this show back to Rosemont in 2011, speak up now, I say if they do that then we should find a different show producer (industry owned show, hmmm), but then we may end up in a TW/Rubies type situation which would suck. Bottom line, don't let them tell us what they're doing, we're in the drivers seat, we need to tell them what we want, right now.

Chris
      Chris Stafford
      1331 Entertainment Group
      Denver Haunted Houses - The Asylum & 13th Floor Haunted House http://www.getscared.com
      13th Floor Haunted House - San Antonio, Texas http://www.13thfloorsanantonio.com
      13th Floor Haunted House - Phoenix, Arizona http://www.13thflooraz.com

Comment

I loved the atmosphere of the haunt only show, I did miss a few vendors, but I honestly never bought their products. They are not durable enough for haunt work and the masks that are massed produced over seas are often not fit for wearing. Thin pulls, crummy hair work, and poor vision plague their products.
        I also loved seeing more folks in costume, its our show and that is part of what we do.
        I was thrilled with the bar's atmosphere each night I went to a full table of folks I did not know and sat and we talked shop, I learned alot each night and I hope sharing what I know helped them out. I was proud of our show and the turnout it had, it will only grow.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I personally wouldnt mind seeing the shows combined again, for my ordering sake, but at the same time, I dont mind them being seperate again. I like St. Louis, and I wanna keep going there. Im not looking forward to dealing with the weather in Chicago again anytime soon.
          Brad Bowen
          Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
          www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

I really enjoyed the show as well. I dont care if the retail side comes back or not. This is our show now! I would like to see Midnight Syndicate, maybe Morbid and few other retailers at the show. I would like to see a few larger booths from Bucky Bones and Gag Studios and Cinema Secrets hopefully. I would like to see more makeup and effect companys. Im looking forward to next year already. It can only get better folks! This is a very promising start and new direction for The Haunt and Attractions Show.
            Damon
            Damon Carson

Comment

I was unable to make the show, but I would think that a retail vendor that had done well with the Haunt Owners in a combined show, would be smart to exhibit at the Haunt Only show.

It might be wise to stay seperate for a year or two to see if the right retail vendors start showing up. Then you would have the best of both worlds, haunt products with a few retail products. You would not have to wade through tons of retail that does not apply to the haunt industry.

Comment

Interesting comments...

I know TW is planning NOW. So your views and your opinions are very much needed and valued. Its interesting to see peoples opinions do a 180 now that they have experienced a haunt only show.

Many retail vendors did in fact buy booths like Cinema Secrets, Morris and Dillion Importing. I know other companies like Fun World, and others attended the show and said they will exhibit next year. They did manage to get one inflatable company oddly enough the biggest one to attend and they did well so more inflatables could be in the works next year.

So the show is going to grow for sure...

With that said here is my view...

After reading what Doug said I would say if you don't make the show 3 and a half days then do Thursday through Saturday because Sunday is totally worthless totally. It always has been because haunters leave on Sundays.

Hundreds and I mean hundreds of haunters came into the show on Wed and Thursday and will still leave on Sunday. Change the days the show is open.

Now for those who want to combine the shows again consider this... Transworld is hosting their retail show in JANUARY. Can you imagine how cold it will be? January will be hard on our vendors to make new products.

I think the shows should say apart, those who want to go retail go to Chicago this January and do haunting in March.

I also think this...

With the retail show and haunt show like 2 months apart it will be easier for retail vendors to make the show to exhibit. It was hard this year because retail and haunt was like 2 weeks apart.

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President
                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

two cents

The show was great. I never doubted the haunt only would not be good.

The hotel across the street was great. They need some help to make it the center of gathering of all. They could make some money if they tried. The good comments about the unions shows that the issue is Chicago's (big city).

I hope TW stays away from Chicago and reconsiders the combining. The retail show should be on its own. I would think that the advisory committee would help TW get some of those retail/wholesale vendors to do the haunt only show so the haunts with retail coud buy there. That could work if there was some research done on that by TW.

Now, if St Louis is not for 2011, then where should they go if we convince them not to return to Chicago. The new standard has been set with a nice city, close hotel, good convention center, better prices all around, and more.

My vote is Indy, Louisville, or Nashville.
                  Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                  Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Larry

LARRY!!!!.....Enough about the weather
                    I will have my bear skin coat done by winter....so I will be warm anywhere!!!!
                    I listened to all of you saying.....OH ST LOUIS IS THIS AND THAT

The town is a ghost town.......it was cold IN MARCH?
                    People walking the streets being warned about shootings just days before the convention?
                    Burned out buildings EVERYWHERE? Vacant....graffitti....hmmmm were we in St louis or Detroit?
                    I guess the economy is effecting everything huh?

I used to love St Louis.....what happened to it?

Everyone is saying ..... the hotel being across the street is a good thing.....gee what was across the street in Rosemont? Yep....hotels
                    And if you book the hotels early enough.....you can get them for under $80 a night...yes in rosemont.

Now Shane showed everyone about the ren deal.....but it didn't last.....I know people ended up 3 miles away and they did the same thing everyone else did.

The hotels were not a savings.....the booths were not really a whole lot cheaper
                    You want to add days to the show.......If I didn't have to spend for 3-4 hotel rooms I would like it too!

Larry? Do you plan on opening again?
                    You can deny this all you want........it puts money in your pocket!!!
                    Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

Hotels, cities, weather, oh my!

Yes, the hotels were "right across" the street in Rosemont but it took 20+ minutes to get to them through the BS tunnel system! And crossing the street was cold and dangerous and a long walk from the show floor to the room.

I have been to countless cities. Comparing the two, Rosemont just has a bad vibe and is cold and damp. St. Louis had a good feel to it for me. Yes, there are certainly parts that look like they had a bomb dropped on them but I only had to drive past those parts, I did not have to go into them. Downtown around the convention was very pleasant and nice. I walked several blocks in all directions and never had any problems. I liked the people and restaurants.

I hope that I never again have to go back to Rosemont. I do like Chicago a lot... but Rosemont is not Chicago. And I LOVE Dream Reapers... the best acting in any haunt I have been to. Any chance of moving that to St. Louis? Nawww... I didn't think so

Doug.
                      www.frightprops.com

[FrightProps Blog]
                      [Google+] [YouTube]
                      [Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Pinterest]

sigpic

Comment

I agree with ken. I am NOT for moving the show to Chicago even though it would be close to me, but at the same time didn't look like the weather in St. Louis was much better... How about (here comes the can of worms) ORLANDO. Warm year round, CHEAP year round, LOTS to do year round. And please don't say its not an option because TW wont go their.. They will go where ever we tell them to go.

All right the bullet proof vest is on. Shoot away!
                        Sean De Wane
                        ----------------------------------------------
                        The De Wane Asylum
                        www.dewaneasylum.com

Comment

Ken,

Let me see if I can keep this short... yes we will open again. We will focus on trying to open the Darkness like if we were in the middle of October, with a tweaked show, seasoned, trained actors, ready to make people scream. We won't do much of any major modifications, I will wait until after the show to do that.

Between building the building, building two new attractions, all that new safety stuff, sidewalks, windows, reovating the darkness, and all that stuff I damn near burned through every dollar I have to my name. I am calling like a madman trying to secure some jobs for HPI/BLA right now because this tour was heavy on the funds.

I will NOT try to do that level of renovation ever again not in FOUR months... it almost killed us. We'll make sure we freshen up everything but that is where we'll stop.

We'll do something simple on one night. Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President
                          www.HalloweenProductions.com
                          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

opinion of a newbie

Ok, I'll wade into this as a newbie!
                            It was our first show to attend. We'd heard lots of stories of the "old days" We had been told that the haunt industry is very clique-ish and unaccepting of "outsiders" or new people. But, we made our minds up to go and learn; to hopefully meet some of the folks we admire.....

Do you know that not only did we find it to be one of the best conferences we've ever been to, but EVERYONE we met and visited with was absolutely WONDERFUL?! You guys really don't give each other enough credit. Larry, The Darkness was incredible. I would gladly stand in the rain and cold again. I'm not going to look back someday when I'm old and regret that experience.

We bought a few things, too. It's great to see up close and personal the things that you've only dreamed about incorporating into your haunt -- and to meet the brilliant artist(s) behind that magic.

There were a bunch of us (corn maze owners) who timidly attended -- not sure what to expect. Thanks so much for including us, for welcoming us and respecting what we do as an industry. We are, and will continue to be, in awe of the haunt industry, it's vendors and all that you represent to fledgings like ourselves.

toni
                            "Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
                            ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Comment

I agree the show should open on Thursday until noon Sunday. Back to March and as for the city, we will go anywhere unless we have a bad experience. It wasn't the best of weather who can prodict the weather.

I was a bit disappointed that a few vendors we wanted to place orders with were not attending like Screamline, Smooth On, Minispot lights just to name a few. I know Unit 70's stuff is suppose to be awesome and we actually got a chance to see some of their work in Larry's haunt. They really need to attend the show.

I think we just really need to encourage some of these companies to exhibit at this haunt show. Mr. Morris walked up and introduced himself to me for no other reason but to say hello. I have to tell you guys you can buy from them just about a cheap as purchasing from the bigger companies and customer service is awesome.

I would also suggest a few other more detailed workshops like FX makeup, showing you how to do detailing to your set (Larry would be a great speaker for that), something in the actor line (more hands on). 4 hour classes and then off to the show. Maybe one a day.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

My take....

At this point if TransWorld can get the Ren Grand to offer the 70.00 dollar deal thats about what the 55.00 was with the fees that way everyone can hang at the hotel I will say keep it there. Yes Larry you read me right! I will admit I thought the area looked bad with all the empty store fronts. Hell some was just scary to look at no wonder Larry likes his haunt in St. Louis lol! NOW LET ME SAY THIS I SAY KEEP IT THERE FOR 2010!

NOW LETS MOVE TO 2011 I say find a new host town and an area where we can see more haunts within a 2-3 hour drive. Nashville is a great place lots of haunts within a 2-3 hour drive hotels are cheap and why not see if we could not get the Operyland Hotel which is the largest hotel in the country! Either way lets find a new host town where we can see other haunts so some of these other haunt owners can showcase and cash in! I am open for any town as long as we can see more haunts! Shane and its Loaded Up & Truckin! Shane this time!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X