Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business Decision! Need HELP/advice Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Decision! Need HELP/advice Please!

I'm gonna be building a haunted attraction about 60' X 30'.

My quote was 4,600
    (Services-$3,600, Prop/Set rental-$500, Materials-$500)

They said they want a professional haunted house, and that they have to rearrange their budget. They wanna know if I can get my price down below $4000. They said they really want to do this.

Whats your advice?

And, what would a haunted attraction cost 60' X 30'?
    my yellow in this case is not so mellow, infact I'm tryin to say, its frightened like me

All it takes...

Time, work, thinking.
    You could make it a little jewel of a haunt if you wanted to do this and had the innate talents.
    There are SO MANY things to consider..........
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

It will be a jewel.

I have all the materials (wall panels, lighting fx, props, fabric, ext. chords, camo netting, everything) to do this for the people who want to pay me to do it.

I gave them a quote - $4,600.00 to create for them a haunted attraction

They want me to come down below 4,000

What do you guys think?
      my yellow in this case is not so mellow, infact I'm tryin to say, its frightened like me

Comment

I think it gets pretty simple.

1) Figure out how much the costs will be for you. (Props, materials, etc)
        2) Figure out what tools you'll need (and how much wear will be on them)
        3) Figure out how many hours you need to put into it.

Take $4000 and subtract #1 and #2. Take the rest and divide that by the number of hours you'll take (#3). Figure out if that amount is worth your time.

On the side, do you have samples of your work?
        Do you have what kinds of props this would include, and a breakdown of the design an materials?
        sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Memphis,
          great advice and post.
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Are you just renting them everything or do they get to keep anything after Halloween?

There are still a ton of variables. You could easily set something up like that for less - if you are buying lots of cheaper makeup and costumes for lots of actors. Even decent masks and costumes really begin to add up when you multiply them by the number of actors. If they instead want any complicated props, that will likely kill your budget.

The little things can really add up quickly if you aren't careful. Connectors and braces for the walls, touchup paint, a cool new prop that one scene really needs, etc.

Don't forget tear down time, and things that will have to be replaced because of wear and tear and damage.
            Last edited by shawnc; 10-13-2009, 04:09 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Thanks you guys

Gotcha, great advice everyone. I'm definately putting all of your guys' advice in my notes and in my marketing booklet.

Ya, I got the deal for 3800

My budget will be $500.00....I know thats very low, and if I have to go over, thats fine, it will be worth it to make it a better show.

I already have everything. And I mean everything. I've done a haunt in my driveway/garage for 7 years and during that time acquired pretty much everything...(costumes, masks, camo netting, wall panels, supports, fabric, ext chords, lighting fx, fog machines, the right tools, props, body parts, heads, hands, birds, chains, I even have several crafted props that I've made, door hinges, etc.)

Now, I know theres always things that need to be bought, always! And it adds up! But, first let me say this............

I only have 9 days to fill a 66' X 99' area with a artful maze. Thats unheard of!!! I will have help but not on a regular basis. Sooo, I'm really gonna have to just throw this thing up...Wow, this is gonna be hell!

3 days const.

1 day paint (most of my panels are already painted)

1 day electrical

1 day props and sound

1 day fabric/plastic

1 day finishing touches/test run

Final Day/EVENT at 5:00 pm

Comment

You're going to be busy. Good luck!

Comment

Sounds like an adventure. Best of luck to you. Let us know how things are going.

"Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."

Comment

Working...
                  X